Doubting like Luther, and trying to test like a Berean, this is where I think aloud about Christian belief and practice. It is also where I share resources of interest to other struggling believers.

Baptized and confirmed in the American Lutheran Church, I explored New Age spirituality for a time but have since worshiped the Trinitarian God of Christianity in many different churches, my denominational preference being Lutheran. I believe in salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. My greatest struggle is prayer. My greatest annoyance is legalism and the notion that blind obedience to the Law will bring sanctification. My greatest fear is that I don't believe correctly. Yet, my greatest hope is that as I grow in my understanding of the grace that God extends to me daily, I will grow in my ability to walk in and demonstrate that grace to others.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Are You Smarter Than An Atheist?

This evening, I noticed that some of my Facebook friends were taking a religious quiz over at the Christian Science Monitor:  "Are you smarter than an atheist?"  One of my daughter's friends got a perfect score, 32 out of 32!  I didn't do so well.  I got 30 out of 32.  I missed a question on nirvana and one on Maimonides.  I guess I'm not as clever as I thought.  I did do better than average for an American Protestant, though.  Apparently, they average only 16 out of 32 correct.

Here is the test lead in from the Christian Science Monitor website:
Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons are among the highest-scoring groups in a 32-question survey of religious knowledge by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life.  On average, Americans got 16 of the 32 questions correct.  Atheists and agnostics got an average of 20.9 correct answers.  Jews (20.5) and Mormons (20.3).  Protestants got 16 correct answers on average, while Catholics got 14.7 questions right.
Frankly, I am a bit disappointed that my fellow Protestants didn't do better.  50% (16/32) is usually considered a failing grade (at least it was when I was in school).  Let's see if we can improve that average, shall we?  Take the quiz!

For a full report on the test findings, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment