Doubting like Luther, and trying to test like a Berean, this is where I think aloud about Christian belief and practice. It is also where I share resources of interest to other struggling believers.

Baptized and confirmed in the American Lutheran Church, I explored New Age spirituality for a time but have since worshiped the Trinitarian God of Christianity in many different churches, my denominational preference being Lutheran. I believe in salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. My greatest struggle is prayer. My greatest annoyance is legalism and the notion that blind obedience to the Law will bring sanctification. My greatest fear is that I don't believe correctly. Yet, my greatest hope is that as I grow in my understanding of the grace that God extends to me daily, I will grow in my ability to walk in and demonstrate that grace to others.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring

In the spring of this year, the son of one of our longtime friends got engaged.  More recently, his bride-to-be was discussing wedding music on her Facebook page.  That got me reminiscing about my wedding music.  This was my processional.  I had a choir of friends sing the hymn while I walked up the aisle.

Jesu, joy of man's desiring,
Holy wisdom, love most bright;
Drawn by Thee, our souls aspiring
Soar to uncreated light.

Word of God, our flesh that fashioned,
With the fire of life impassioned,
Striving still to truth unknown,
Soaring, dying round Thy throne.

Through the way where hope is guiding,
Hark, what peaceful music rings;
Where the flock, in Thee confiding,
Drink of joy from deathless springs.

Theirs is beauty's fairest pleasure.
Theirs is wisdom's holiest treasure.
Thou dost ever lead Thine own
In the love of joys unknown.


After some quick research, I discovered that the commonly used words to this hymn were actually based on a poem written by Robert Bridges and inspired by a hymn by Johann Schop written in 1642 whose lyrics were, in turn, composed in 1661 by Martin Jahn.  The original German words, translated into English, actually read like this:

Well for me that I have Jesus,
O how strong I hold to him
That he might refresh my heart,
When sick and sad am I.
Jesus have I, who loves me
And gives to me his own,
Ah, therefore I will not leave Jesus,
When I feel my heart is breaking.

Jesus remains my joy,
My heart's comfort and essence,
Jesus resists all suffering,
He is my life's strength
My eye's desire and sun,
My soul's love and joy;
So will I not leave Jesus
Out of heart and face.

The opening stanzas of Mr. Jahn's hymn read as follows:

Jesus, my refuge and deliverer,
Jesus, the ground of my confidence,
Jesus, mighty trampler of the serpent,
Jesus, light of my life!
How my heart longs for you,
Dear Jesus, painfully!
Come, ah come, I wait for you,
Come, O dearest Jesus!

Jesus, delight of my soul,
Jesus, my best pleasure,
Jesus, my sun of joy,
Jesus, it is well known to you
How I love you from my heart
And am distressed without you.
Therefore O Jesus come to me
And stay with me forever and ever.

Whichever words are used, it is clear to me that the focus of the song is Christ and who better to focus on, especially at Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment