Doubting like Luther, and trying to test like a Berean, this is where I think aloud about Christian belief and practice. It is also where I share resources of interest to other struggling believers.

Baptized and confirmed in the American Lutheran Church, I explored New Age spirituality for a time but have since worshiped the Trinitarian God of Christianity in many different churches, my denominational preference being Lutheran. I believe in salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. My greatest struggle is prayer. My greatest annoyance is legalism and the notion that blind obedience to the Law will bring sanctification. My greatest fear is that I don't believe correctly. Yet, my greatest hope is that as I grow in my understanding of the grace that God extends to me daily, I will grow in my ability to walk in and demonstrate that grace to others.

Monday, December 5, 2011

Physical and Financial Needs

Scripture:  1 Corinthians 1:3-9

Are your physical and financial needs sufficiently addressed?  Notice I said needs, not wants.  My physical and financial needs are fine.  At the moment, I have enough money to pay my bills, heat my house, and feed my family (the latter even includes the more-than-occasional trip to a favorite local restaurant).  I certainly cannot complain.  I do not, however, have enough cash on hand to buy a Wii or spend several hundred dollars on Christmas gifts this year.  In fact, my family made the decision to cut back substantially on gift-giving for 2011;  only one gift per person for the adult and, maybe, two for the kids.  Yes, the bottom of the tree will look pretty sparse, but that is ok.  We have some other long-term goals that are prioritized ahead of an opulent, abundant Christmas.

When finances get tight or our own financial priorities dictate a more modest observance of Christmas than what the advertising world seems to tell us is necessary for peace, joy, and happiness, it is helpful to remember that God Himself is familiar with lack.  Why?  Because He Himself experienced poverty in the person of Jesus Christ.  He was born in a stable.  He didn't live in a fine castle with clothes of fine fabric bedecked with expensive jewels.  His earthly father was a carpenter;  His mother didn't work outside the home.  As an adult, He didn't have a permanent home.  He stayed with friends or sought shelter wherever He could while traveling with the disciples.  Yet, God the Father always provided for the needs of God the Son.  God will provide for our needs as well.  In fact, He already has.

The Scripture passage for today outlines what has been given to us as children of God:

- grace in Christ
- speech and knowledge of every kind
- spiritual gifts
- strength to live in Christ
- fellowship with Christ
...because of the grace of God that has been given you in Christ Jesus, for in every way you have been enriched in him, in speech adn knowledge of every kind --- just as the testimony of Christ has been strengthened among you --- so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift as you wait for the revealingof our Lord Jesus Christ.  He will also strengthn you to the end, so that you may be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.  God is faithful;  by him you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. --- 1 Corinthians 1:4-9 (NRSV)
How do we know that we have these gifts?  Because God is faithful, and because He has been faithful to give us these gifts, how much more will He see to it that our financial needs are met as well.  Notice I said needs, not wants.

May God transform both your finances and your attitudes about your finances this Christmas, bringing you peace as you wait for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.


A Scottish folk tune about God's provision.

No comments:

Post a Comment