Doubting like Luther, and trying to test like a Berean, this is where I think aloud about Christian belief and practice. It is also where I share resources of interest to other struggling believers.

Baptized and confirmed in the American Lutheran Church, I explored New Age spirituality for a time but have since worshiped the Trinitarian God of Christianity in many different churches, my denominational preference being Lutheran. I believe in salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. My greatest struggle is prayer. My greatest annoyance is legalism and the notion that blind obedience to the Law will bring sanctification. My greatest fear is that I don't believe correctly. Yet, my greatest hope is that as I grow in my understanding of the grace that God extends to me daily, I will grow in my ability to walk in and demonstrate that grace to others.

Monday, March 18, 2013

A Liturgical Resource: Introduction

One of my favorite gifts this past Christmas was a book from Concordia Publishing House titled Ordering Our Days in His Peace:  An Introduction to the Christian Church Year by H. R. Curtis.  The dedication just inside just inside the front cover reads:
For the children God has given (and, in accordance with His wishes, will give) to my wife and me, that they may always cherish being a part of God's story.
Now I seriously doubt that, at age 51, my husband and I will be adding to our immediate family, but I do volunteer with a homeschool group, the children from which I sometimes think of as "my kids."  It was for them, and for my own enlightenment, that I put the aforementioned book on my wish list at all.  Being Lutheran, and living (as I do) with a church musician, I have experienced the ordering of my days, as Mr. Curtis puts it, since I was a small child.  Sadly, most of the "Bible church" and Reformed Christians I know don't seem to understand a lot about the liturgical calendar or about the enriched perspective it can bring to life in a hectic culture.  Generally speaking, these folks tend to associate the tradition of following the liturgical calendar with the Catholic Church and, therefore, eschew any involvement with it, oftentimes counting it as non-Biblical or idolatrous.  True on the first count, but many teaching tools that are used in the Church, such as a catechism, are extra-Biblical.  As for idolatrous...well, for me, that is a matter of individual faith and focus.  For one Christian, following the liturgical calendar may become a stumbling block;  for another, it may provide an ordering principle that will help deepen relationships with God and other believers.

So, for those who are interested, I will be posting my notes from Ordering Our Days in His Peace.  Watch for them over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment