Doubting like Luther, and trying to test like a Berean, this is where I think aloud about Christian belief and practice. It is also where I share resources of interest to other struggling believers.

Baptized and confirmed in the American Lutheran Church, I explored New Age spirituality for a time but have since worshiped the Trinitarian God of Christianity in many different churches, my denominational preference being Lutheran. I believe in salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. My greatest struggle is prayer. My greatest annoyance is legalism and the notion that blind obedience to the Law will bring sanctification. My greatest fear is that I don't believe correctly. Yet, my greatest hope is that as I grow in my understanding of the grace that God extends to me daily, I will grow in my ability to walk in and demonstrate that grace to others.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Is Jesus a Hypocrite?

God has the most interesting timing, especially to have this show up during Holy Week.

Earlier this evening, while browsing around my Facebook page, I noticed this post:
Ever get tired being the strong, silent type?  Always going the extra mile for others but getting nothing in return, then acting like it's no big deal.  What bigger type of hypocrite is there?
Wow.  By this definition, Jesus would be the greatest hypocrite of all!  A silent lamb led to the slaughter, going the extra mile for sinners, getting nothing in return, and then "acting like it's no big deal" by forgiving those for whom he died, those whose sin nailed Him to the cross.

And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." --- Luke 23:34

Within five minutes of reading the aforementioned Facebook post, I read this status (see below).  The husband of a college friend shared it.  He is a two-time cancer survivor who lost part of his tongue, which makes eating and drinking more difficult for him than for most people.
This morning I thought maybe I could put that little piece of bread they give you at communion in my mouth.  Mistake.  Stayed up front and played the rest of the service [he is a musician] so no water and by the end of the service, I had a soggy lump in my mouth I just couldn't swallow.  Made me reflect a bit on that situation.  Do I get frustrated with how hard it is to eat?  You bet.  Do I get angry or discouraged?  Heck no.  I view it like most things in my life.  The parameters within which I operate are given to me and simply are.  They are neutral.  It's totally up to me how I deal with it.  I can be angry and bitter that it takes so much effort just to eat.  Or I can rejoice in the fact that I can eat and am able to get the sustenance I need, or anything between.  But it is my choice.  I CHOOSE to focus on how thankful I am that I am able to eat rather than CHOOSE to become bitter and angry that it is more difficult for me than most people.
Just as this gentleman reflected on his situation, I am trying to process that "hypocrite" statement.  When, in faith, we love and serve our neighbor (as we are commanded by God to do), when we go the extra mile for others, we are supposed to do it expecting nothing in return.  If then, after serving and expecting nothing, we truly act as if it is no big deal (and think the same thing), we aren't hypocrites.  We are, in faith, choosing an attitude of love toward others and an attitude of thankfulness toward God for the opportunity to serve Him by serving our neighbor.  We have, in faith, demonstrated the love of God in Christ to another human being.  How can that be hypocritical?

No comments:

Post a Comment