Doubting like Luther, and trying to test like a Berean, this is where I think aloud about Christian belief and practice. It is also where I share resources of interest to other struggling believers.

Baptized and confirmed in the American Lutheran Church, I explored New Age spirituality for a time but have since worshiped the Trinitarian God of Christianity in many different churches, my denominational preference being Lutheran. I believe in salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. My greatest struggle is prayer. My greatest annoyance is legalism and the notion that blind obedience to the Law will bring sanctification. My greatest fear is that I don't believe correctly. Yet, my greatest hope is that as I grow in my understanding of the grace that God extends to me daily, I will grow in my ability to walk in and demonstrate that grace to others.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Conclave Meets Soon

It was announced on Friday (3/8/2013) that the College of Cardinals would be sequestered in conclave on Tuesday, marking the start of the papal selection process.  Being a Lutheran whose daughter sings in the diocesan choir at a cathedral fifteen minutes from home and performs cantor duties for a local Catholic congregation, I have some interest in keeping up with the current happenings in the Church against which I am supposedly "protesting."  Plus, I just find the whole procedure rather fascinating.

This will be the third time in my life that I have witnessed a conclave, or rather waited for the results of a conclave.  No one but the cardinals themselves is privileged to view the actual selection process.  My first experience was in 1978 with Pope John Paul I.  Sadly, he only lived a month (33 days to be exact).  So, after the fifteen-year tenure of Pope Paul VI (1963-1978), the Church was almost immediately thrown into yet another mourning period and yet another conclave, the result being the selection of Pope John Paul II, a man who became the second longest serving pope in history (and my second time to witness the choosing of a pope).  Due to the sudden demise of Pope John Paul I and the calling of a second conclave so shortly after the first, 1978 is known as the "year of three popes" --- Paul VI, John Paul I, and John Paul II.  In fact, it may be the only year in history since the 16th century to hold such a distinction.

As always, there is speculation about who should be chosen to fill the "shoes of the fisherman."  I have no opinion there.  I figure the Holy Spirit is well suited to the business of selecting the next man to lead the largest church on the planet.  I will be watching for the white smoke, though.  It promises to be an exciting week.  Preliminary meetings will continue on Monday, March 11, 2013.  After that, the wait begins.  Will you be watching?

Also of interest:  Catholics Create 'Virtual Conclave' For New Pope

CORRECTION:  This will actually be the fourth papal conclave that I have witnessed.  Pope John Paul I and Pope John Paul II were in 1978, and Pope Benedict XVI was in 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment